HomeHome  HomeHome    MemberlistMemberlist  Ad/AffAd/Aff    RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  
To The Guests:
Hi there, guest.
You're probably wondering why the forum appears to be so tiny right now... well, there is any easy explanation for that! We want this site to be exclusive to the members, so a lot of the content is only available for the members to see. This includes writing, role playing, our chat, games, competitions, tutorials, help, and more! To see all of these cool features, sign up!
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Welcome!
Welcome to TNH! This is an awesome site, oriented around letting people become their inner selves! Everyone is welcomed, and everyone is encouraged to participate! We have role playing, art, writing, advice, chat, and more! We have been around since January 2012, and since then we are steadily growing!

Forum best viewed in CHROME

Visit our topsite & vote for us!
The Nerds Herd - Top Site
Updates

October 19, 2014~ A forum rebirth. Please check the latest news & updates topic here
March 28th, 2013~ Join our ad competition HERE
March 28th, 2013~ The site has been updated quite a bit. The site is now also public for everyone to see. Hope you enjoy it and join!
December 23, 2012 ~ Please participate in this new, important discussion! Lets get back the site! CLICK HERE
November 7th, 2012 ~ ChristinaSixx has been announced MOTM! Click HERE to congratulate her!
November 3rd, 2012 ~ Holiday Recollecton writing contest (official contest) has started! CLICK HERE!
October 28th ~ TNH now has a twitter! CLICK HERE
TNH now has a facebook! CLICK HERE
Check your emails and inboxes!
July 20th 2012 ~ Added in a floating cbox! (Members only) Bottom right corner of your screen!
July 19th 2012 ~ I know, you see me changing up the site again. I'll have it finished sometime later today. If it's a "nerd" site, it needs to be "nerdy".
July 15th 2012 ~ Well, look at that! We have a new skin here! read more
July 1st 2012 ~ Eeeep! We are opening up to the public. Aren't you excited?
Connect With Us!

Show Your Support!
Show your support for The Nerds Herd! Put this onto your other websites today!
click to go!

The Code
Affiliates
Spectrum, a freestyle wolf rpg O R I G I N ;; a fantasy wolf roleplay PFT aff Rayven's Reign: A  Fantasy Roleplaying Forum  Welcome Home to Haven's Grove!
Affiliates Open.
JOIN
TNH Member Chat
Advertisements may contain viruses! TNH does not control the ads that shows up on our website! So beware!

Share | 

How can we better the site?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

What do you think of the site?
I hate the site
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
The site is stupid
5%
 5% [ 1 ]
The site has great potential
23%
 23% [ 5 ]
I want to be here more!
32%
 32% [ 7 ]
I am inviting my friends!
18%
 18% [ 4 ]
I want to help!
22%
 22% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 22

AuthorMessage
Midnight
Admin

Posts Liked : 3

PostSubject: How can we better the site?   Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:05 pm

I'm requesting that all active members, and even perhaps some new members participate in this discussion. It is very important to me, and to keep the community running smoothly and soundly. I want to make a place that everyone can come to love and have fun on! So please, let me know what you think!

What can we do to make this site a better place? New forums, remove forums, what? How can we make it more appealing to potential, visiting members? We want this to be somewhere that everyone is welcome, and where everyone can have the fun that they wish to have!

Should we try to do competitions again? We want to have competitions where many can participate, and something that is engaging for others. Let us know what you think, please, so we can discuss this and get down to business!

Remember, we can't get a site to be great without the assistance of our fellow members!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kat

Posts Liked : 0

PostSubject: Re: How can we better the site?   Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:04 pm

I think competitions would be fun. We just have to get it were people join in on them Smile
I've also been inviting a lot of my friends, waiting for them to come here...if they do. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Midnight
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How can we better the site?   Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:21 pm

Any ideas on what type of competitions we should do? I tried to make a few awhile back, but it seems that nobody tried to join or be apart of them.
Thanks, hopefully they do come! Smile

Also, I was thinking, how can we get more people to participate in other parts of the site? Most people only do the role playing, when there is so much more, too!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kat

PostSubject: Re: How can we better the site?   Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:41 pm

Short stories? Graphics? Maybe set up some type of prize . Umm artist or author of tue month thing... Themed competitions and then have certion people to be the judges. Or just have everyone vote. Poetry contest. Those can always be interesting.

That is a good question. I should probably go through eerythibg on here also though...I've only really looked at the role playing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dusk

PostSubject: Re: How can we better the site?   Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:26 pm

I think the main problem is activity. I know with my site, when people see an inactive site or that no one is on, they automatically become disinterested and don't bother hanging around. People don't have the time to come on and post replies or manage forums and such. It's not that people don't like the site or anything, it's just that everyone is so busy right now it's difficult to come on a lot. A problem I've been seeing, (which is always a problem no matter what site you go on) is I keep missing people! I'll pop on to check things out and see that someone was just on! Maybe we can designate a specific time for everyone to come on the site and check in! That way, if two people happen to be on the same time they can roleplay!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kat

PostSubject: Re: How can we better the site?   Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:54 pm

^^^ yep! I tend to miss people a lot. I got to a point where I never got one because nobody was ever here. But now I'm back Smile and I'm trying to get more people on here. Its a great site, just needs people Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Midnight
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How can we better the site?   Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:01 pm

I'm debating on what competition to make. Members also have the opportunity to make competitions if they wish, just for the fun of it.

I agree. The activity is lacking, but to help it get boosted doesn't mean everyone has to be online at exactly the same time. Don't wait for someone to be online to post something somewhere. The forum is always online, and is always open to have things posted. There are more things to do on here than just role play, as well, which is what I encourage more people to do.

As well as that, we can't get a ton of new members without them being invited by people who are already members here. I sit on here all day long sending out invites on different websites -- but really, people will trust in the opinions of their own friends more closely than that of some random person. So, inviting your friends would be a good idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shadow

PostSubject: Re: How can we better the site?   Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:45 pm

I think the competitions are a great idea, but we need more people to enter. How did we do that? I'm not too sure. I would do the writing competitions but I have limited time.

As for Dusk's idea I think it would be hard (at least for me) to designate a time to come on. Perhaps we should try and see if it happens to work out, at least people know others will be on at that time if they could get on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
☥Conner☥

PostSubject: Re: How can we better the site?   Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:00 pm

I agree with Dusk and I think that themed competitions are a really good idea to get members a bit more active. What are the rewards for such things though? Maybe a sort of title change or something on the homepage. Maybe also change up the theme a bit on the website to make it more visually appealing. Not that I have a problem with it now, but everything is a bit compact and I am not sure what all you can do to fix that though, but it was just a suggestion.

I definitely think that the main problem is activity. For a while I got really busy and I didn't have time to get on the sight, and I was really angry at myself when I didn't. Recently I have had enough free time to get on, but no one is ever on when I am and I don't really want to participate to have to wait for maybe another three days before I get a reply or get to see the reply. I don't know some of your time zones or you schedules which actually might be a good idea to try to get.

You won't really be able to just grab people and make them be on the site at a certain time, but if all of the members would post some for of schedule for themselves that they normally follow like what time they are at school or work and when they will be away doing something else or things like that. Small little updates as well on a different post like a member update post might be nice so we can come on for a minute, post what we are doing so everyone knows that we are busy, if that makes sense.

For instance, if I had like ten minutes that I could be on the sit,e I think that it might be beneficial to go onto a certain post, and tell everyone, "Hey, I've got some homework to catch up on or I've got a band thing tonight or I have a project to work on, I'll be back on in about ten minutes, or I'll be back on tomorrow at this time." To me that would be a good bit of organization so that you could see what your friends on the site are up to, and you don't have to wonder where they are or why they aren't on.

Another suggestion for the Role Play is that, and this is just a quick idea that I came up with, is that maybe a few people have a bit of creative control over the RP, so that when someone is gone and we know they will be gone, someone can come in with their character to keep the story moving. Whoever is gone could have some say in what is happening like what they would like their character not to do, that way the RP wouldn't be as dead and characters could still interact. People could also collaborate on RPs and Short Stories so that if someone is gone, the same thing can happen and the other person is given responsibility for continuing the RP or story when it has stopped.

Just a few suggestions that I think might help the site a little bit.

p.s. every instance of the word sight should be site, lol I was typing fast and not thinking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kat

PostSubject: Re: How can we better the site?   Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:08 pm

^^^Maybe update how we can do our profiles. Like have it where it says what time zone were in(optional) maybe set a type of status thing where we can say when we are busy and going to be gone. So our friends can see that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dusk

PostSubject: Re: How can we better the site?   Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:22 pm

^^^
I agree with Conner on the visual appeal with the site. I don't mind it, but there's something about it that makes me uncomfortable. As for the competitions, they may work but it's a matter of if the members really want to do it or not. There has to be some kind of incentive to be apart of the competitions. Here's an example:

Have a graphic making competition where the members can create whatever they want, as long as it coincides with a theme. Or, have the competitors sponsor their favorite roleplay and create a graphic from that. The winner get's to have their theme be used for the site.

We don't have to do that, I was merely offering an example to some form of reward. I don't think rewards such as "Member of the Month" will work for this site. At least, not right now with the way the activity is. I like Conner's idea for roleplay activity. I'm not sure it will work, but for right now I think the best thing we can do for the roleplays is just reply. So that whenever a member pops on they can see and reply back! Hopefully that will gradually bring back activity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
☥Conner☥

PostSubject: Re: How can we better the site?   Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:26 pm

^^^

Exactly. And honesty it's a little but surprising the amount of inactivity there is on the site. Maybe I'm just assuming the worst, but I feel as though some people may disregard the site because of inactivity. I think I speak for most dedicated members of the site when I say we love our little family here on TNH and we love when we can interact and come together to create amazing stories and characters, etc. I am definitely going to make the effort to be on the site more and I think the only real way to help get activity going at the moment, is just to have more activity lol. If members could come on more often and stay on longer, then we could more easily work out how to keep the site movong forward, or so I think. I could be totally wrong.

Now I understand that we have busy schedules sometimes and that's not a totally major problem, but I think if we have at least 10 or so registered members on at a time, then we could do really well. If not 10, then no less than 5. I might be asking for a lot, but an hour or two during the day could definitely help activity. Lol am I being a but to optimistic?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Midnight
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How can we better the site?   Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:32 pm

hi guys! im going through, reading all of your suggestions everyday. my internet is out right now (im writing using mobile, which is very difficult), so thats why i have been mia the past few days. so hopefully i respond to everything in this reply!

well, as for someone taking over a role play or story, that would be up to the individual creator if they would do something like that and to whom would be the one taking over.

as for a status, the best i can do is create a module on your profiles where you would have to edit your profile to show it, or i could create a topic that people could post on and the main post would list those who are going to have an absence, etc.

dedicating a certain time for everyone to be on will be quite difficult as well. we have people who are on all parts of the world under different time zones that could literally be 12 hours apart. the best, i believe, would be to just come on and post when you are available. just because someone isnt on, dont let that stop you. someone will be on later to reply. this helps bring up activity.

competition wise, ive already put up comps before to try to allow members to help with the theme. multiple times. the holiday theme being one of them (which no one had entered). as well as that, as i already stated, members can do member ran competitions as well!

i have always said, and still agree, that it is basically activity we need. activity is appealing, and it is very helpful. post when you can, whereever you can. if you can, also invite people! that is helpful as well.

as soon as i get my internet back (probably monday) ill start editing upon your suggestions! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
☾Serenity☽

Posts Liked : 6

PostSubject: Re: How can we better the site?   Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:08 pm

I like all of the suggestions :3 sadly I'm not really active either so maybe the mods have to get active themselves first before anything else can work <___< but yeah.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
X-tinaSevvin

PostSubject: Re: How can we better the site?   Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:05 pm

i really think that another thing is that we dont have enough places to put the site, and i know alot of people who found it extremely hard to navigate, like the lettering at the top that's perma-links to stuff dont stand out as much as they should.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
QueenOfSmilies

Location : Earth, The Orion-Cygnus Arm, Local Spur, Milky Way, 25,000-ish light-years from center.

PostSubject: Re: How can we better the site?   Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:59 pm

In the Media Chat Forum Area, I noticed a section you might want to add--maybe;
Would you mind making a "Video Game" section as well, please?
I have no idea who might be on this site who might play video games BUT, I thought it might be a nice addition.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Omega

PostSubject: Re: How can we better the site?   Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:12 am

GIFS AS PROFILE PICS
GIFS AS PROFILE PICS
GIFS AS PROFILE PICS
GIFS AS PROFILE PICS
GIFS AS PROFILE PICS
GIFS AS PROFILE PICS
GIFS AS PROFILE PICS
GIFS AS PROFILE PICS
GIFS AS PROFILE PICS
GIFS AS PROFILE PICS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How can we better the site?   

Back to top Go down

How can we better the site?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1